More girls on bikes! That’s the goal of this project — to get more girls and young women mountain biking together in a fun and social environment using a group ride format. Girls’ Ride Club will offer female riders 13-23 a safe space to gain confidence, skills and fitness by inspiring and supporting one another. Girls’ Ride Club is based in the Tri-Cities/Burnaby/Maple Ridge area. This is a non-competitive program and will have an XC/Trail riding focus, which basically means we’ll be riding up and down (gotta earn your turns)!
“Mountain biking is super-fun, whether you’re riding alone or with friends, but some kind of magic happens when women ride together.” – Sandra Walter, Girls’ Ride Club Founder
About Sandra: Sandra Walter has been mountain biking for three decades and competes at the elite level for Liv Racing and Team Canada. She has a wide range of experience coaching children and adults. Sandra started coaching as a teenager, leading kids’ mountain bike camps and leading Team BC’s cycling squad at the 1999 BC Canada Summer Games. She has always felt an added motivation to encourage young women to discover the wonderful world of mountain biking. Sandra is also a Ride Like a Girl Mentor.
Registration: Pre-registration is required HERE. Group size will be limited to 10 riders. For insurance purposes, participants must be Cycling BC members. Membership can be purchased during registration.
Bring: Mountain bike in good working condition (minimum front suspension recommended), comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing, multi-tool, mini-pump, spare tube that fits your bike, tire levers, snack, water. Rider should be able to carry all of these items with them on the ride (we may not be returning to start/finish location until the end).
Provided: supervised, guided group ride, unlimited fun!
- Oct. 6 – 3:30-6:00pm – Bert Flinn Park, Port Moody
- Oct. 13 – 3:30-6:00pm – Bert Flinn Park, Port Moody
- Oct. 20 – 3:30-6:00pm – Bring a Friend Day – Thornhill, Maple Ridge
- Oct. 27 – 3:30-6:00pm – Burke Mountain, Coquitlam
- Oct. 7 – 3:30-6:00pm – Bert Flinn Park, Port Moody
- Oct. 14 – 3:30-6:00pm – Burnaby Mountain, Burnaby
- Oct. 21 – 3:30-6:00pm – Bring a Friend Day – Thornhill, Maple Ridge
- Oct. 28 – 3:30-6:00pm – Burke Mountain, Coquitlam
- Bring a Friend Day – For the third ride of the series -if numbers allow- each rider is encouraged to bring a young woman who is interested in mountain biking, but has been hesitant to try. This session will focus on leadership and mentoring less experienced riders by offering a welcoming, supportive and fun environment.